For most pastors the idea of delegation is not new. We’ve all heard sermons about Jethro, Moses’ father in law, who advised Moses to identify, train, and release others to help him bear the load of leading God’s people.
It’s essential for the busy pastor to not only delegate but delegate well. You don’t want the task delegated to be handed back to you later.
Below are 17 questions to ask before you delegate that will increase delegation-success by 70%.
1.Have I adequately prayed, asking the Holy Spirit to lead me to the right person?
2. What type of skills, giftings, passions am I looking for in the person I choose?
3. Who can do what I do (the area I want to delegate) at least 70% as well as me?
4. Have I sought a second opinion from someone abut delegating to this person?
5. When will I approach the person to set up a meeting?
6. What information will I need to have with me for my meeting once it’s scheduled?
7. Who will be effected by this persons new task?
8. Do any of these who will be effected need to be informed ahead of time?
9. What training will they need?
10. What time commitment will need to be made to get them ready?
11. What resources will they need to carry out their responsibilities?
12. Have I communicated to them that this can be on a trial basis with a review after an agreed upon period of time? If it’s not working for them or for you then they can get out gracefully.
13. Have I built an off-ramp? An off-ramp provides a way out (see question 12). We need to provide training in the area of how one resigns in a responsible way from a ministry.
14. How much time will I give this person before they give me an answer?
15. Do I have a second choice in case this person decides against taking on this task?
16. Specifically, how much time will this free up for me? For example, if you lead a small group that takes you one hour to prepare for and two hours to lead, and if you intend to give this group over to someone else and you no longer attend, then you’ve saved yourself three hours a week.
17. Do I have a list of remaining action steps I will need to take in order of importance?