A while back I was talking to a pastor about the recent news of a popular leader in his denomination who confessed to adultery. A few years ago the same denomination was rocked after finding out the same thing about two other very high-level leaders. Whenever a bomb like this is dropped these two questions start to circulate:
1. How could this have happened?
2. What can be done, if anything, to prevent this in the future?
My friend and I came up with five suggestions for avoiding emotional or physical adultery. You might want to apply them to your personal life, from the pulpit (if you’re a pastor) or with a men’s or women’s group in your church. Here they are:
1. Don’t think: It could never happen to me.
2. Know what the early signs are of an inappropriate relationship.
3. Don’t minimize or dismiss the early signs.
4. Be brutal in how you respond to the early signs.
5. Find someone you know and trust, someone who is safe, someone you could share with who will pray with you and hold you accountable.
Can you think of any additional steps one might take?