If you want to move from the board you’re currently working with to a board you dream about, try having your board work through the following questions.
- Where do we find examples of “church boards” in the Bible?
- What is the closest thing we find to church boards in the Bible that compare to how we do them at our church?
- How would I answer the question: How does your role as a church board member affect your daily, weekly, and monthly life?
- What do you do as a board member?
- Do we lean too much in the direction of controlling our pastor or too much in the direction of freedom for our pastor?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = too much control, 10 = too little control) how do we score the accountability our pastor has to us as a board?
- What types of decisions should our pastor be able to make without our approval?
- What type of decisions should our pastor not make without our approval?
- What do we base the answers to questions 7 & 8 on?
10. What are the risks of a pastor having too much freedom?
11. What are the risks of a pastor having too little freedom?
12. How could our board meetings be more meaningful and productive?
13. Are there any business/management skills that we lack as a board?
14. How could we make serving on the board a more spiritual thing?
15. How often do we teach the people about church government, i.e. how the church is run?
16. If a church board had time to do only one thing, what should that one thing be?
17. How often should a church board meet?
18. How do we feel about term-limits?
19. Under what circumstances should a church board member be asked to step down?
20. How many board members are needed?
21. What will be our requirements for selecting new board members?
22. I want to spend more time, less time, about the same amount of time as I currently do in my role as a board member.
23. What areas do we need more training in as board member?
24. In what ways does the church board help the pastor care for the church?
25. In what ways can the church board care for the pastor?
26. In what ways do we presently show care for our pastor?
27. On a scale of 1 to 10 (one being low) how well do we care for our pastor?
28. On a scale of 1 to 10 (one being low) how well do we help the pastor care for the church?